1. SEMINAR - "Searching for Franklin's Expedition" - A reminder the branch has organized a no-cost presentation to be held at the BCIT Marine Campus on Friday, March 4, 2016.
2. BRANCH SOCIAL - A branch social is planned for Saturday, March 12, 2016. Open to members and significant others, it's an opportunity to meet in a social setting. Please RSVP to email@example.com prior to Monday, February 29, 2016.
3. AGM - Our branch AGM will be Saturday, May 14, 2016, to be held at the Vancouver Maritime Museum. Further details will be sent soon.
4. 2017 CONFERENCE - At the branch meeting held February 9, the committee discussed the plans for a 2017 Conference. It was accepted that Managing Marine Risk in the Pacific Northwest would be the theme.
As we prepare for organizing the conference, we will be seeking volunteers for the following key roles: Sponsor Lead, Agenda Lead, Facilities Organizer, IT Organizer, Financial Lead, and Registration Coordinator. Further details will be sent soon.
5. BRANCH TREASURER - Our branch Treasurer has stepped down, we offer many thanks to Barry Preece for his outstanding contribution. Kelly
Larkin was nominated and he accepted the role of Treasurer.
6. BURSARIES - The NI BC Branch has worked with the Vancouver Transportation Foundation (VTF) to recommend students for VTF financial awards. Last year a panel, lead by our branch Vice-Chair Nigel Greenwood, assessed applications and submitted the names of three successful applicants to the VTF for approval. The work of assessing applications will continue again in 2016. Our Vice-Chair will lead the panel in 2016 and is asking for volunteers to make up the panel. Additionally, we are looking for a volunteer who is willing to take the lead on this important relationship for 2017. More information about the VTF may be found here: http://www.vancouvertransportationfoundation.org/index.html
7. NEXT BRANCH MEETING - The Branch Committee will be meeting on April 12, 2016, on the 5pm sailing Tsawassen to Swartz Bay. All branch
members are welcome to attend.
8. NOTICES - Notices of events and meetings will be placed in several fora for you. At whichever you find most convenient, please find notices at:
Nautical Institute main: http://www.nautinst.org/en/events/index.cfm
Nautical Institute BC: http://www.nauticalinstitute.ca/newsjournal/
Nautical Institute BC Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nibcbranch
Angus Fedoruk, AFNI
Nautical Institute BC Branch